Sunday 22 July 2012

Raghead


Meet Raghead E Villdoer, an honest, hardworking, murderous terrorist. He happens to be the protagonist of my newly-launched cartoon, named, eponymously, Raghead. Today, he will introduce himself.

A few years ago I’d begun drawing a cartoon called Dana the Dozer Driver, but that never really took off. Thinking up new gags was just too tough. With Raghead, the material is out there, just waiting to be used. Be warned – if you’ve not already guessed – that there will be a high load of political content.

Those of you who have seen my paintings will be aware that I can actually draw rather better than this. However, for the purposes of this cartoon, I’ve chosen a deliberately minimalist style (if you want to know, I started with black sketchpen on paper, and then used Woodcut on Corel Painter 12 on the scan). The reason is that a cartoon, especially one like this which isn’t a soap opera like Apartment 3G or Mary Worth, should get its message across as directly as possible, and not lose its way in the minutiae of artwork.  Only your responses will let me know whether I’ve succeeded.

As always, feedback is appreciated; but for this endeavour, feedback is essential. Whether I continue with Raghead at all, or how often, will depend on what you think.

So, thanks in advance, and happy terrorising. Raghead wishes to talk to you.








Copyright B Purkayastha 2012

5 comments:

  1. . . on the money Bill, pure gold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alan, and welcome to my site.

      Carina, as usual, thanks for reposting and promoting me.

      Delete
  2. I like him!

    I mean, I hate him, of course, because he is an E. Villdoer, but... Oh, my feelings are complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love him. I wish I had known him from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete

Full comment moderation is enabled on this site, which means that your comment will only be visible after the blog administrator (in other words, yours truly) approves it. The purpose of this is not to censor dissenting viewpoints; in fact, such viewpoints are welcome, though it may lead to challenges to provide sources and/or acerbic replies (I do not tolerate stupidity).

The purpose of this moderation is to eliminate spam, of which this blog attracts an inordinate amount. Spammers, be warned: it takes me less time to delete your garbage than it takes for you to post it.

Proceed.