Sunday 8 July 2012

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star



 Twinkle, twinkle little star
Dare I wonder what you are?
A sun like ours in the sky
Or a drone-bot flying by?

Wish upon a falling star
But not in a never-ending war
Is that a meteor arcing down
Or a Hellfire missile on the town?

I saw my brother play outside
On his bicycle he took a ride
High above, a godlike eye
Looked down on him from the sky.

Far away, hands levers pressed
And for his shroud my brother dressed
A button pushed, a rocket sent
And I heard my mum’s lament.

The grass is thick, the grass is green
Softer and thicker than I’ve ever seen
Is it because below, the bodies lie
Killed by robots which overhead fly?

I’m told the drone pilots fear
That in their hearts they shed a tear
And that they kill only when they must
So why is my brother now as dust?

Somewhere else, the rising moon
Is for lovers a godsent boon
They can hold each other, hug and kiss
And know not terror, but joy and bliss.

And for such lovers, a star must be
Another sun in the stellar sea
Not for them the bots that kill
At the orders of a foreign will.

Twinkle, twinkle little star
Dare I wonder what you are?
Dare I look up at the sky
And hope I’m not going to die?

Twinkle, twinkle little star
Up above my head so far
Tell me if I dare wonder
Wonder what you are.




Copyright B Purkayastha 2012

4 comments:

  1. great poem Bill, sad this is the modern version of twinkle, twinkle.
    thank you, am reposting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely adapted, yet for a sad reality...
    It was very kind of you to give me notice about your being temporarily away... I wish you a nice time, either you're going or not on vacations...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. If they keep hiding the horrors of war from the American people, the people (overall) will continue to support the wars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WoW good job Bill... I really enjoyed reading it. As I used to dream of becoming a writer - I still do- I do write poetry, but in my mother tongue, not Eng (Tamil) so my school didn't support it... I have to try writing one in English... lol... Anyway keep up the good work . I know this is a quite late comment... but I didn't know you have written this one. I will check out the other works later :)

    ReplyDelete

Full comment moderation is enabled on this site, which means that your comment will only be visible after the blog administrator (in other words, yours truly) approves it. The purpose of this is not to censor dissenting viewpoints; in fact, such viewpoints are welcome, though it may lead to challenges to provide sources and/or acerbic replies (I do not tolerate stupidity).

The purpose of this moderation is to eliminate spam, of which this blog attracts an inordinate amount. Spammers, be warned: it takes me less time to delete your garbage than it takes for you to post it.

Proceed.